Get a grant to work on a political issue you care about! We are offering grants and prizes to help you start and grow a committee to fight for what’s important to you.
Committees are issue-oriented groups within the WSU College Democrats. They focus on making progressive change on campus or at the state or federal levels. For example, a health care committee might participate in the Gift of Life organ donor initiative on campus, hold a letter writing party to defend Obamacare, or host a discussion panel on public health in Detroit. As committee chair, you will be responsible for bringing your own ideas to life and making a real impact with the support of the College Dems.
The grant: If you apply by this coming Tuesday, Feb. 6th, you will be eligible to win $30-50 to use on your new committee however you like – buy snacks for meetings, reimburse gas expenses for a trip to Lansing, print off flyers, etc.
The competition: In February and March, committees will participate in a friendly competition for prizes including a copy of Fire and Fury, t-shirts, and more. Awards will be given for the following categories:
- Most membership
- Best event
- Strongest dedication
- Most effective
- Most innovative
How to apply: Fill out the online application below to get started on forming your new committee. The Vice President, Rebecca Jiggens, will reach out to you to further discuss your goals and help you create a plan to grow your committee.
- Committee application due Tuesday, Feb. 6th
- Meet with the Vice President by Thursday, Feb. 8th at 5:00 PM
- Grants awarded Monday, Feb. 12th
- Competition ends Friday, March 30th
- Competition winners announced in April
Grant winners are expected to do the following by March 30th:
- Hold at least three committee meetings
- Reach out to the student body via events, tabling, protests, or your other creative ideas
- Demonstrate substantial progress toward the committee’s goals
- Meet with the Vice President at least twice
- Develop a plan for the committee to continue to accomplish its goals in the 2018-2019 academic year
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will get back to you ASAP. A detailed list of rules, expectations, and competition judging criteria will be distributed before you meet with the Vice President.